Thursday, May 26, 2011

Re-FashioNYC


I love when things just make sense, especially when it's for a good cause.  I received a brochure in the mail for re-fashioNYC, a partnership between the city of New York and Housing Works.  The program provides donation bins to apartment buildings with over 10 units.  There is no cost to the apartment building and all proceeds are donated to fund lifesaving services for low-income and homeless New Yorkers living with or affected by HIV/AIDS.  What a brilliant idea! 

Apparently, New Yorkers throw away over 200,000 tons of clothes, towels, blankets, curtains, shoes, handbags, belts, and other textiles and apparel.  Imagine if all of that went towards a good cause instead of a landfill. 

I must admit that I LOVE cleaning out my closet, it's such a good feeling, but it's much harder to drag bags of used clothes through the streets of Manhattan than it was to put it all in my beat up Buick and drive it to the Goodwill in Minnesota.  Now, I can simply bring it to the re-fasioNYC bin downstairs!

So, if you're making room in your closet for classic essentials, take some time to fill out this online inquiry form and request a bin for your building.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...