Thursday, July 14, 2011

Work Appropriate Nail Polish

I know there's some controversy surrounding what nail polish colors are appropriate for work.  In my view, any color goes when it comes to your toes, even if you wear open toed shoes to work.  As for your hands, subtle and classic is the way to go.  I try to get a manicure once a week (it's a wonderful break from a hectic day at work).  If you work near Grand Central, the best place to go is Spa Butterfly.  If you go to Spa Butterfly though, be careful what you unload on your manicurist because chances are, the girl (or guy) sitting next to you works at your office.  Here are my favorite work appropriate nail polish colors:

Mademoiselle: Very sheer pink color that can be worn on its own or as the base coat to a French manicure.

Guchi Muchi Puchi: My current favorite (in fact, I'm wearing this shade as I type).  It's less sheer than Mademoiselle but not overwhelming pink.

 Fishnet Stockings: The only time I recommend wearing fishnet stockings to work is on your finger tips.  The perfect classic red.

 Wicked: It's lighter/more red than it looks in this picture.  A sophisticated dark red.  Just be sure not to chip your nails because it's very noticeable with this color.

I tend to wear Essie because they seem to have more options, but I'm sure there are some wonderful O.P.I., Chanel, Sally Hanson etc. colors.  If you've got a favorite, share it in the comments section!

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Once again I wanted to highlight differences between US and France (would not dare to speak for Europe).
    Here wearing nail polish is not so common although younger generation tend to do it again as it it again trendy. And older generations do wear it too (as part of a larger process of gromming and pampering yourself well). But the generations "in between" are not so keen but in Paris (please do note that Paris IS NO ALL representative of France). As for professional area, well it is not well received but if you do wear nail polish you could do it with whatever colour you like to. I am telling about what I know, banking area. But bare nails are much better. And manicure are also not so common (again except in Paris for some) because that is quite expensive and we focus to the other points.
    So are nails very important for US women?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think having well manicured nails is a sign that a woman is put together, although I must admit that my nails often look terrible, especially when I'm very busy with work. I think most women in New York (which is also not representative of all of the U.S.) get manicures frequently. Partially because the cost of a manicure, unlike everything else, is less expensive in New York. I love hearing about all of these cultural differences when it comes to professional appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the worst. I always wear work-inappropriate nail polish. It makes me happy though, so I don't care. I'm wearing Essie "Absolutely Shore" right now. You'll see it tonight. (http://www.enailsupply.com/images/products/display/as.jpg)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...