Monday, April 6, 2009

Welcome to Professionelle!

I turned 24 last September. For most women 24 is nothing special, but for me it was the year that I would become an adult. At least in my own mind. Since the age of 12, I knew that I wanted to go to law school and become a lawyer. At that tender age, I eagerly counted the years to go before I would graduate and go on to defend justice and liberty as a lawyer. It seemed so far away at the time. Now that time is finally here. I am 2 months away from graduation, 4 months away from taking the bar, and 6 months away from finally becoming a real lawyer.

Next Fall, I will be starting as an associate at a large New York law firm. So maybe it's not exactly what I set out to do 12 years ago, but, hey, I also thought at the time that I could be a triple threat akin to Jennifer Lopez (except replace dancing with lawyering). I'm actually very excited about starting my job. I'm going to a very respectable firm whose people I admire and actually enjoy spending time with. I am well aware that this is not an easy thing to find, and for that I am very grateful.

Leaving behind my life as a student is something that I'm less enthusiastic about. Students get up at noon, spend a few hours in class, control their hours, and answer only to themselves...and their cell phones. It seems that the only thing professionals and students have in common is the ability to walk and send emails at the same time. What's more, as a woman entering a very male dominated world, the challenges of next year sometimes seem insurmountable.

But anyone who knows me well knows that feeling powerless stresses me out more than any actual challenges I may soon have to face. So, in an effort to better prepare myself for my entree into the cut throat New York legal world and help others along the way, I've decided to start this blog. Professionelle is a blog devoted to helping young, professional women succeed with style and grace. It is also a blog devoted to helping women hold on to what made them happy before they started their climbs on the corporate ladder, be it an awesome deal on a pair of shoes, a good chic flick, dinner and drinks with girlfriends, or the simple pleasures of celebrity gossip.

Helping me along the way will be my good friend Yun Ah. She is an [investment] banker at a large New York Bank. Investment in brackets because those don't technically exist anymore. Pretty soon I may be referring to her as a government employee. Yun Ah is one of the most savvy and stylish women I have ever met. We immediately hit it off during a summer banking internship our Junior year of college, and there is no one I trust more to help make this blog a success.

I hope that you will find the information on this blog informative, interesting, and helpful. If this blog becomes a place you go not only to get information but also as a release after a stressful day of work, then I have succeeded. Please feel free to email me at Professionelle.blog@gmail.com with any comments and suggestions. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jiabei

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...