Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cosmetics Review

For the first time ever, I am completely content with the contents of my make up bag. After trying dozens of eyeliners, mascaras, and blushes, I have found the perfect combination. Below are the winners.

Mascara: Mascaras are my obsession. I have the tiniest, shortest lashes, so I'm constantly looking for a miracle mascara. In this category, I have three favorites. The first is Chanel's Exceptionnel ($30). It has a unique six sided brush. Three of the sides are combs and the other three are brushes. The formula creates incredibly thick and feathery lashes. You're supposed to roll the brush up and out when applying, but I find that putting it on the old fashion way works just as well. The second is Rimmel's Glam Eyes ($7.49). This is a great, cheap, alternative to Exceptionnel. If you have slightly longer or thicker lashes, this may be even better for you. The brush is also unique in that it's a four sided comb that seperates as it thickens. The third is Maybelline's Lash Discovery (6.59). This lengthening mascara proves that bigger is not always better. The mini brush grabs each lash individually and lengthens from root to tip. I like to apply Lash Discovery first, and then layer Exceptionnel or Glam Eyes on top.


Pencil Eyeliner:
I've been using the same eyeliner since I first started using make up. Estee Lauder's Automatic Eye Pencil Duo ($23) is by far my favorite. The liner is soft so that it always goes on smoothly. The pencil comes with a smudger on the other end, but you can buy a refil in a different color and put it on the other end instead. I currently have Black on one end and Charcoal on the other.


Liquid Eyeliner: I only recently started using liquid eyeliner. Admittedly, it takes some practice. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy to apply, and I like how it adds more definition to the eyes compared to a pencil liner. The key to liquid liner application is having the proper liner. I have found that it's more important to find a good liquid liner than it is to find a good pencil liner. My preferred liquid liner is Shu Uemera's Liquid Eyeliner ($18 for the empty pen plus $15 for the ink cartridge). $32 is a lot to spend on an eyeliner but there are several reasons to invest in this eyeliner. First, the cartridge lasts for several months. Second, take it from someone who has wasted $5 here and there trying on inferior eyeliners, dabbling in bad products definitely adds up.

Eye Shadow: I have brown eyes. Brown eyed girls, so I've been told, should wear purple shadow. I'm not sure how true this conventional wisdom is, but I just love Clinique's Colour Surge Eye Shadow Duo in Blackberry Frost ($17.50). It's the perfect combination of shimmery purple and deep gray to create light and dark constrasts.



Blush: I love that flushed, glowing look. Like you've just gone on a run, except, as anyone who knows me can tell you, without the running part because I loath exercise. I use a two step approach to creating this look. First, I apply Benefit's Benetint ($28). Next, I sweep on a very light layer of Nars Orgasm Blush ($25) across my entire face. The Benetint provides that subtle color while the Nars provides the slight shimmer. Do not, however, mistake Super Orgasm for Orgasm. I find that Super Orgasm is too sparkly for every day use which makes it definitely too sparkly for work.

Benetint


Nars Orgasm Blush

This is obviously not a complete beauty product review. I'm still searching for the perfect lip gloss or tinted balm combination as well as a lightweight tinted mosturizer with sunblock. If you've got any suggestions, please leave them in the comments section or on the Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. Jiabei!! Check this out. We all just did it and bought a ton of makeup!!

    http://culturistas.blogspot.com/2009/05/eyes-lips-and-face-cosmetics-everything.html

    PS- i have orgasm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jiabei, cool blog!

    checkout MD skincare tinted moisturizer sunscreen or Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer wtih SPF. though if Boston is as hot as DC, i'd rather just not wear anything on my face and just wear a hat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...