Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Public Transportation Worthy Books

I started a discussion on Professionelle's Facebook page with a call for post suggestions and a reader wrote in that she would like suggestions for books to read while riding public transportation to work. She, like most of us, likes the occasional chick-lit but wanted something that went better with a suit than a swimsuit. I have to admit, since starting law school three years ago, I haven't had much time to read anything other than casebooks. One of my favorite Saturday afternoon past times, however, is to go to the local bookstore. I head straight for the "award winning fiction" section and peruse the tables for the prettiest cover. I figure it's more acceptable to judge a book by its cover if it's already "award winning." Here are a few of my favorite books that I've picked up using this method. They're all deliberately targeted towards a female audience without being too lifestyle focused. After all, you shouldn't read novels for fashion trends, read Professionelle instead!

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
This is one of my favorite books of all time. Not a whole lot happens in terms of plot, yet the book is incredibly touching and romantic.


Prep by Curtis by Sittenfeld
Although the cover makes Prep seem like just another chick-lit, it's actually not chick-lit at all. It's the modern day A Separate Peace.


Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
I haven't read Olive Kitteridge, this year's Pulitzer Prize winner, but the synopsis looks interesting and it will probably be the next novel I read...after the bar exam.

1 comment:

  1. No way! Prep is one of the WORST books ever written. She was whiny loser in high school and is a whiny author in adulthood. As an actual ex-preppie I found it ridiculously stupid.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...