Thursday, June 30, 2011

Black-Tie 10 Years Post Prom

I've had two black tie weddings already this summer and one coming up in August, then on top of that I'm the only gentile bridesmaid in a traditional orthodox Jewish wedding.  It's been a fun challenge finding outfits for all of these weddings. 

Before this summer, prom was the last time I looked for a black-tie dress (technically I had to find one for Barrister's Ball in law school, but that might as well have been prom).  The problem with shopping for black-tie dresses after the age of 16 is that everything is either a million dollars or too prom-y for a Professionelle.  Add to that the fact that half of the colors in the rainbow are off limits for some weddings (white for all of them, which means no cream or champagne either, red for three of them because the bride is Chinese, and for the traditional orthodox wedding, it has to be black, conservative and with sleeves). 

After searching far and wide, I've discovered quite a few options for an elegant and sophisticated black-tie dress that meets all of these restrictions. 

As you know, I love vintage.  My favorite online vintage stop is Timeless Vixen Vintage.  Lauren, the owner, posts new dresses daily on her Etsy store or you can email her for items in her showroom if you don't see what you need on the website.  I wore one of Lauren's dresses to Phyllis's elegant formal wedding and it was perfect.  Although it's one of a kind, this dress gives you a good idea of what you can find at Timeless Vixen.

1950's vintage gown (330.00)
Other than vintage which can be very expensive, not to mention difficult to fit, I love Notte by Marchesa dresses, which are inexpensive yet elegant.  I wore one to Kejia's beautiful wedding a few weeks ago and will be wearing another to Peter and Lisa's wedding in France.

Unfortunately, the dress I wore is currently sold out, but this one is very similar (475.20)


As for Shuli's traditional orthodox wedding, I've got a couple of options that I like, but what I love, is this knockoff Pippa Middleton bridesmaid dress.  I'm not a huge fan of knockoff dresses (and thanks to Charles Colman, we now know the difference between knockoff and counterfeit) but this one is just so classic and pretty.  While plenty of girls pined after Pippa's dress because it showed off her amazing figure, my orthodox friends tell me that the brides in their commuinity loved it because it's appropriate for all but the most conservative ceremonies. 


This is definitely not to say that you can't wear a short dress to a black-tie wedding.  At the black-tie events I've been to, half of the women wore short dresses.  The key is to accessorize with gorgeous jewlery, shoes or bags.  I'm totally six months behind on this trend (and now it's out of stock), but I love the unexpected look of this clear clutch which comes with interchangeable liners:

Charlotte Olympia Pandora Plexiglass Clutch (615.00).  Yes, $615 is way too much to spend on plexiglass, so I suggest you try the DIY version found here.

2 comments:

  1. So if I understand you well a black tie event means that you must wear a long gown or a least a very dressy dress?
    I ask because we don't have the same kind of rules in France; of course there are also events where one has to wear gown as well but not so common it seems that in the US.
    Even for weddings (but the traditional religious ones, but then you would not be invited to a traditional jewish wedding) you have more freedom to wear nearly whatever you like as long as it is appropriate.
    The dresses you show are beautiful but oh so formal, I wouldn't imagine to wear them. Sometimes I regret it somehow....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in the U.S. black-tie is typically very formal, although, a long gown is definitely not required. Often times, wedding invitations here will say "black-tie optional" which will allow guests to wear something less dressy.

    I received the pink Notte by Marchesa dress a few days ago, and unfortunately, the size 0 is a bit too big (which is strange since the blue Notte dress I wore fit perfectly). It's a beautiful dress, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is very petite.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...